We love to make delicious family breakfasts on the weekend (or I should clarify, my husband likes to create and make and I enjoy sleeping in and showing up to eat his masterpieces).
A few weeks ago, we discovered THE GERMAN PANCAKE.
Seems to be a bit more substantial than a typical pancake with more eggs, less flour, and so versatile because you cook it in a baking dish and can top it with ANYTHING you want.
Sweet? Savoury? It all works. And talk about perfect and super easy for large crowds.
I have already claimed this is as our go-to when we have visitors up to the cottage this summer.
…. and the sauce (rivals chocolate in my books!).
Try out this recipe for The German Pancake and let me know what you think.
Drop a comment below if it sounds delicious and you want to try it !
The German Pancake Recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Buttermilk Syrup Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
- Fresh fruit of your choice
*If you don’t have buttermilk, check out this tip on how to make your own.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place the first four ingredients in a blender and process just until smooth.
- Pour melted butter into a 13×9-in. baking dish and tilt dish so that the butter coats the surface.
- Add batter and bake, uncovered, until puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place butter, sugar, buttermilk, maple syrup and baking soda in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 7 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Remove pancake from oven. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; serve immediately with buttermilk syrup and toppings of your choice. For a really pretty presentation, place your toppings on the pancake before you serve it and bring the entire baking pan to the table for slicing!
Looking for another delicious pancake recipe, check out Banana Oatmeal Pancakes.
From my kitchen table to yours,