Introducing a dessert that combines two things that all of us love (and if you don’t, there is something wrong with your taste buds): Pumpkin + Brownies.
Yup, you heard me right, Pumpkin Swirl Brownies – another amazing recipe from LCBO Food & Drink magazine (Autumn 2009) that I pulled out of my recipe archive folder.
This type of snack dessert can be very dangerous and extremely tempting to the busy entrepreneur working from home who just happens to stroll by a half-eaten pan.
You had me at brownies and pumpkin!
RECIPE: Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
Pumpkin Swirl Ingredients
1oz cream cheese, room temp
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 TBsp pastry flour, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 TBsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temp
1/2 cup pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- For pumpkin swirl, stir cream cheese and sugar. Add pumpkin and beat well. Blend in egg, pastry flour, vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside.
- For best results, prepare brownies by hand, not with electric beaters. For brownies, place chocolate and butter in a metal bowl over a opt of barely simmering water and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
- Stir in vanilla then eggs one at a time, blending well after each.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and salt and stir gently.
- Scrape half of batter into prepared pan and spread evenly
- Dollop pumpkin filling onto brownie and dollop remaining brownie batter around the pumpkin.
- Swirl filling with tip of a knife and bake for about 30 minutes until a tester inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out clean.
- Cool at room temperature before slicing.
Might I suggest pairing these brownies with this amazing recipe for Pumpkin Ice Cream, the result is to die for and the combo is a fabulous alternative to pumpkin pie or apple crisp.
From my kitchen table to yours,